Friday, March 23, 2012

Internship

In place of one of our classes, we had the option of doing an internship in Madrid. There is a company called EUSA (not sure what the acronym stands for) that finds the internships for us with organizations in sectors that we have expressed interest in.  Though a larger time commitment than classes, with a 15-hour minimum work week and a 20-page parallel project due at the end of the semester, I opted for it due to the opportunity to meet more Spanish people and practice my Spanish in a work setting. Originally I was placed at a business that arranged homestays for American university students, but with such a narrow and U.S.-centered topic, plus only one lady in the office, I wasn't very excited about the internship. So I started over and EUSA found me an internship with a company called OM Premium Sports that does elite sports marketing and publishing. Most of their work involves polo (yes, it's still alive and well), golf, and sailing, plus occasionally tennis, paddle tennis, and equestrian.

My supervisor is mainly in charge of the publishing, which involves a magazine called PoloLifestyle and a mini magazine called Sports Challenge. I spend most of my time translating articles because the magazine is bilingual, but I also occasionally research (and attempt to write) updates on, say, the American Polo Season, or the Volvo Ocean Race.  The translating can get quite tedious and it's amazing how certain texts can be so much more difficult than others, but I have gotten to read and learn about most of what the company does and I have been able to do it in a way that only I can help, which is a great experience.

In addition to the magazine translations, I have translated marketing publications soliciting sponsors for international events, a job that I was at first quite hesitant about - I kept asking my supervisor of someone was going to look over my texts before they were sent out to oh, I don't know, BMW or Michael Kors marketing execs. But then again, I'm the best English speaker they have, so who could do it better? Having been given such an important role in the company, I have taken it upon myself to ask a lot of questions and reread everything a billion times, which isn't hard, as the translating duties only go so far and I spend a lot of time just anticipating a PowerPoint for a meeting on Monday from the lawyers or the review of the new Mercedes Roadster from the car writer.

This past week was when the magazine went to print and things were pretty chaotic. Though it was slightly inconvenient considering that I was traveling to Barcelona for the weekend, I was honored when my supervisor asked me if he could send me some things over the weekend. It turns out this company really needs me, and that is really the most that I could ask for from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment